I finished hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness and arrived at Katahdin Stream Campground at about 12:30 today after an eighteen mile hike. Hooray! I had a bittersweet final twenty-four hours on the trail. As I was setting up camp last night it occurred to me that I was spending my final night in my tent on the trail. I had a great campsite on a hill above Little Beaver Pond and it was a fine night with loons and coyotes providing the soundtrack. Life is about to change!
The Princess arrived at the campground at 3:00 and we had a great reunion then drove to Millinocket which is the closest town to Mount Katahdin where we will stay in a hotel. I had planned to summit Katahdin tomorrow (Friday) but the weather forecast is for a 100% chance of rain with thunderstorms. So I’m going to hold off on climbing Katahdin until the weather gets better. It’s only a 5.3 mile hike to the summit but it’s very challenging with 4000 feet of serious climbing up boulders and rock outcroppings. It takes most people six to eight hours to reach the summit and climb back down. Climbing Katahdin in bad weather is dangerous and certainly not as much fun as going up on a nice day, so I’m going to be patient and wait for good weather.
Since Princess and I had planned to do some touring in Maine, we’ve decided to drive to Acadia National Park tomorrow which is just over two hours away. We’ll visit there, probably spend one or two nights, then come back to Millinocket on Saturday or Sunday so that I can finish my hike. The weather forecast gets better for Sunday and we’ll be keeping a close eye on the weather updates.
I feel elated about making it this far – to the final climb – and am eager to finish the hike but Inchworm’s disappearance has been hard for me and has put a damper on this last part of the hike. I am just baffled about what happened to her and why the searchers cannot find her. A local man told me today that there are now over 200 people involved in the search. They are using tracking dogs too, so I can’t figure out why they haven’t found her. I am hoping for a miracle and that she is found alive but I know that realistically after she has been missing for so long her chance of survival is slim.
I’ll be sure to keep you informed of what we’re doing up here in Maine, my final climb up Katahdin and any news I get about Inchworm.